Tuesday, January 31, 2006

U is for Useless

My list of Useless things: Part I

These are just a few of the things that I find useless. In fact, some of them are worse than useless. They are not only a waste of society's resources, they actually cause real harm to human beings and other living things.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions. Others may find value in some of these things. They would be wrong.

1. Tanning Salons

These are especially detrimental to those obsessed with the fear of being pale. There is even a term coined for this condition: Tanorexia.

To illustrate-

exhibit a - an old potato














exhibit b - the skin of a tanorexic 25 year old













2. Decaffeinated coffee

Really - what's the point?



3. TV Shopping Networks

I get upset with normal commercials and drive people nuts clicking the remote to find a station not advertising something. Why would I want to watch a whole network of commercials? It's not like I can choose which things they are going to show me. If I really want to buy something, I can compare at hundreds of stores, thousands of web sites. Haven't these people heard of e-bay?


4. Tabloid Newspapers (celebrity variety)
Lies, gossip and showbiz PR. If you want some real entertainment, try the Weekly World News. Now that's a tabloid!








5. War


Dishonorable Mention:

SUVs

Light Beer

TV tabloids (E.T., etc.)
At least the E! channel shows SNL reruns.

For another opinion click here.

I expect to discover more useless things by the time the letter U rolls around again. In the meantime, let me know what things you find useless.


War! It ain't nothing but a heartbreaker
War! Friend only to the undertaker
War! It's an enemy to all mankind
The thought of war blows my mind

No comments: