Friday, April 14, 2006

T is for Terri Hendrix

We listened to Terri Hendrix CDs all day as we road from New Jersey to New York. Our mood was more subdued than expected, but Terri's music seemed to fit somehow. We had been looking forward to this trip for a month now, ever since Marsha spotted the show in Amenia NY on Terri's web site. I wore my favorite t-shirt for the occasion, the one with The Terri Hendrix Experiment on the front, and Own your Own Universe on the back.

You gotta live with passion
love with the same
hold the key to all your chains
and keep my name on your mind
and my number in your wallet
for when you got the time

You've got to own your own universe
roll in the grass and kiss this earth
and keep my name on your mind
and my number in your wallet
for when you got the time

Wallet

written by Terri Hendrix
©1997 THM Music (BMI)


We arrived early at the Silo Ridge Country Club in Amenia, and continued to listen to CDs while we waited in the parking lot for the pre-show buffet. The golf course looked beautiful, nestled between the steep hills near the Connecticutt boundary. It was a small venue, a convenient stopping point for Terri - between her show the previous night in Albany, and the workshop she was giving the next day at Boston's Berklee College of Music.
We walked into the banquet room where the buffet and concert were taking place, and there was Terri setting up on the small raised platform that served as the stage. She walked past us carrying a box of CDs and T-shirts and gave us a big hello. I don't know if she noticed my shirt at the time, I think she is just friendly to everyone. We said hello back, and I think the smile never left my face for the rest of the night.
After the buffet, John Hermans of Border Line Productions, introduced Terri and Lloyd Maines. He and his brother have worked to bring quality musicians (especially Texans) to this part of the world. Then Terri and Lloyd went to work, with Terri singing and playing guitar, papoose, mandolin, and a variety of harmonicas. Lloyd added some backing vocals and played guitar, steel guitar, and papoose. They opened with a song that they co-wrote, It's a Given.

every single color fades into the other
every time that we say goodbye
you're my compass in the dark
you guide my heart
as my dreams solidify

It's A Given
terri hendrix (thm music, bmi, admin. by bug music)
lloyd maines (artmob music, bmi, admin. by bug music)

The musicianship was incredible, as were the songs and the stories that introduced them. Lloyd claimed that Terri chose him to accompany her, over some young stud guitarist, so she could benefit from his AARP discounts. He proudly displayed a picture of his grand kids on his quitar, and showed off the tatoos of their names on each arm (he wanted his grand kids to think he was cool when they became teenagers).



Lloyd, showing off the grandchildren



They played a mixture of songs both written by Terri and by others. She included a new song inspired by Marion Williamson, who gave her guitar lessons and taught her how to milk goats. I believe that it is called Acre of Land, and it is about making the most of what we are given. Terri said she learned that "you can stew or do", and then she sang what she said was the children's version of this song, Get Your Goat On, with eveyone joining in on the chorus. She then talked about hearing a recording of Woody Guthrie saying that songs should lift people up, not put them down. She showed everyone how to make the "bbpppp bbppppp" engine sound to help her sing the Car, Car song. Terri talked about how how relevant Woody's words still are and then did one of his songs about the migrant workers who pick vegetables, hops, and the grapes used to make our wine.
Terri's papoose, guitar and mandolin. Lloyd said that mandolin players spend half their time tuning, and half their time playing out of tune.

During the intermission, Terri sat at the small table at the back and sold t-shirts and CDs. Marsha bought me a new shirt, and ordered another, and got me a autographed copy of "Celebrate the Difference". We told her we were looking forward to seeing her in Philly this summer; she said she is working on the children's show that she will be doing at the Philadelphia Zoo. (I beleive she said she was trying to figure out how to do a live version of Nerves).
The rest of the show was equally wonderful. She sang My Own Place that I had requested, and a very touching version of The Ring. This is a song about her fathers devotion to her mother that certainly struck a note with me.

For my mother
He made a ring
For my mother
He’d do most anything
A quiet man
With words unspoken
Proved his love could not be broken
Out of a half dollar
My father
Made my mom a ring

The Ring

Terri Hendrix


She included a lot of down home, fun songs that covered topics from overly amorous dogs, to fishing, to the wanna-be cowboys who buy a big hat but eat quiche and throw a ball like a girl. This set featured some terrific harmonica playing, as well. Lloyd said that all blues harp players need a good nick name, and he was trying to decide wether Terri's should be Blind Lemon Pledge or Blind Lemon Meringue.


Terri's Harmonicas

We were both impressed with Terri's spirit and generosity. She was gracious to everone, even the wacky couple from New Jersey. We look forward to seeing her again, soon.

I'll leave you with some of the lyrics from the very last song that Terri sang that night.

There are people I’ve loved
That I’ve lost along the way
We’ve drifted apart
Or they’ve been called away
I hold them so close
In my heart here tonight
They’re dear to my heart for all time
They’re dear to my heart for all time

I’m taking a moment to pray for my friends
A handful of people on whom I depend
Our pathways are different
But I love them no less
I’m hoping their sorrows you’ll mend
Tonight I pray for my friends

Prayer For My Friends

Jeff Barbra & Sarah Pirkle


No comments: