Saturday, February 04, 2006

W is for Warrior Women



I have an appreciation and attraction to strong women. They may be characters in movies and on TV, historical figures, singers and song writers, or friends and family.

The picture above was from a Discovery Channel series, hosted by Lucy Lawless, that has aired in the UK and elsewhere, but not in the U.S. so far. It featured Boudica, a Celtic queen who fought the Romans in Britain, Joan of Arc, The Irish pirate Grace O'Malley, Mulan, and others.

And so, here are some of my favorite warrior women, plus those women that I admire for their independence, strength, enormous talents, and triumphant spirit.


On TV:
  • Xena: Warrior Princess (she has many Skills)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Veronica Mars


Actors: (who always portray women of strength and conviction)
  • Jodie Foster
  • Kathy Bates
  • Frances McDormand


Musicians:
  • Joni Mitchell
  • Judy Collins
  • Janis Joplin
  • Kirsty MacColl
  • Terri Hendrix
  • Grace Slick


Authors:
  • Ursula K. Le Guin
  • Patricia Cornwell
  • Anne Rice
  • Mary Stewart


There are many others that I could mention, and hope to bring up in the future. Let me know about the women who you admire.


Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

I Am Woman
Words and Music by Helen Reddy and Ray Burton

1 comment:

Cathy Young said...

Good to see a fellow Xena fan -- many skills, indeed! Excellent post. :)