Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Y is for YummY

Part I

We recently bought a nifty little Cuisinart hand blender/chopper and I have been experimenting with various smoothies and snack recipes. Here are a couple of tasty, healthy snacks that I have been enjoying.

Home Made Hummus

1 clove garlic
1 can chick peas
2 tbls oil (olive or canola)
1-2 tbls lemon juice
1 tbl tahini (sesame paste)
water
salt & pepper to taste
additional spices or veggies for variety

Chop or crush the garlic and process with the chick peas. Add the lemon juice and water as needed to get a nice smooth consistency. Add the tahini, salt, pepper and other spices and blend well. Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, or carrots and celery.

I usually don't have tahini around, but I will add some chili powder and/or cumin to add some flavor. You can also add some chives, roasted peppers, green or black olives, or other veggies at the end to add some color and zest.

Blended Black Bean Salsa

I have seen lots of recipes for salsa using whole black beans, but I like them blended into more of a paste.


1 can cooked black beans (or you can cook your own, if you want)
1 small can of tomatoes (or, preferably, Rotel tomatoes with green chilies)
Salt, pepper and spices to taste


Process black beans into a chunky paste. Blend in tomatoes and spices to desired consistency (more beans for a bean dip; tomatoes for a more salsa like result).

Again, I like chili powder and cumin. Throw in onions, peppers, avocado, or whatever else is on hand for variety. Serve with tortilla chips or spread on bread or soft tortillas.

Feel free to share your recipes, or if you think these belong under Yucky, let me know.

No comments: