Friday, March 03, 2006

I is for In My Life

There are places I’ll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I’ve loved them all
Lennon-McCartney
I often think of those moments, and those no longer with us. It is amazing how we carry the memories of people long gone, giving them life within ourselves. In the end, is that what we are? The sum of our memories?
I recall my highschool friend Jim Sammons, who died too young. I think of my favorite uncles, Ray Hughes and Bill Van Zandt. I am thankful for Jim and Harriet Gapski, who helped shape many lives. I often think of them, and others both living and dead. Some are near and some are far removed in place and time, but I carry the memories of them. And I am glad to have had them all in my life.

No comments: