Tuesday, March 07, 2006

J is for Jorma


We very much enjoyed the show with Jorma Kaukonen and Barry Mitterhoff, hosted by David Bromberg. Local boy Bromberg (his violin shop is down the block), led off with some up tempo tunes, including the Angel Band's version of Just Call Me Angel of the Morning. Jorma then joined the group for a few songs before the intermission. He returned, accompanied by the versatile Barry Mitterhoff on mandolin, banjo, dobro, and guitar. They played a lot of old time blues and vintage Hot Tuna songs. The musicianship was spectacular, all around.

Here are Jorma's remarks about the show (from his web site).

The trip in yesterday was long but pleasant. I haven't been to Wilmington for well over 20 years, and it had changed much. The show was great... David was joined by the Angel Band and a number of other friends. Really good stuff.Here is our set list:

Jorma Kaukonen & Barry Mitterhoff 13, 2005 Visiting With David Bromberg
The Grand Opera House Wilmington, Delaware Friday, February 24, 2006

1. Blue Railroad Train
2. I'll Let You Know Before I Leave
3. More Than My Old Guitar
4. Heart Temporary
5. Serpent Of Dreams
6. Parchman Farm
7. Keep Your Lamps Trimmed & Burning
8. Bread Line Blues
9. Come Back Baby
10. Search My Heart
11. Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out
12. Living In the Moment
13. Good Shepherd
14. I Am The Light Of This World
15. Just Because (with David Bromberg)
16. Encore: Hesitation Blues (with David Bromberg)

We're going to be on the road with David this summer and I'm really looking forward to it. Now to bed...


I especially enjoyed I Am The Light Of This World, my favorite from Quah. It was also great to hear Jorma's take on Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out, and Dylan's It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It takes a Train to Cry - done by David and Jorma during the opening set.

No comments: