Thursday, March 23, 2006

O is for Oddities

Today's oddity is the Laotian rock rat, or rat squirrel to some. This is either a member newly discovered rodent family, or a living example of a species thought to have died off a million years ago.

The Laotians seem not to be surprised by it, however. One of the first sightings of this strange animal was at a meat market - someone was in for a tasty treat!

I am sure that Kristin, who loves rodents of all shapes and sizes, would love to have one for her very own. Me, I kinda wonder what they taste like?

Stay tuned for more oddities in the future.

1 comment:

Erin Nowak, Designer and Illustrator said...

We recently discovered an excellent Loatian restaurant (In Syracuse?! I know...it's crazy!). I had to giggle at your entry since "tasty treats" as you put it, were the first think I thought about when reading about this new (or old) species. A definite oddity!